Thursday, February 21, 2008

Redefining Service

So I got a pin today that said redifine service. Please follow the link. Honestly, it's incredible. We can change BYU culture! My friend flippin' posted about dating awhile ago. He mentioned how dating in Provo and BYU has become stagnant and people are expecting soo much from it. I believe this. I believe that with all the advances of technology people are so focused on listening to their iPods, talking on the phone, or whatever. We need to unplug ourselves, be human, and try to meet people. The little movie that I linked to redefine service is incredible. Service doesn't have to be as big as organizing some huge humanitarian movement. I mean, that is service, and it's wonderful service. However, service is also something as simple as smiling at someone on the street, saying hello and getting to know someone new. Reaching out to that person sitting next to you in Biology. Honestly people! BYU has been known in years past for being super friendly and people knew other people and it was one big huge network. What happened? Technology. Media. People would rather sit at home than go out and meet new people and do new things. Why sit at home at night doing nothing productive when you could be getting to know someone and helping them become a better person.

It's late and these thoughts are somewhat jumbled, but please. visit redefineservice.byu.edu and let's help this movement take flight. It's incredible, and I am pleased to say that I have pledged to be a full supporter. If I can do it, you can do it. We can change!!!!

0 comments: