Tuesday, October 20, 2009

CRAZY!!!!

#1 - my lil' bro turned 17 yesterday. I'm not old enough to have a 17 year old brother. eek.

#2 surgery is in 3 freaking days. How did it happen so fast?

#3 my Truit is home from her mission and will be in UT today and I GET TO SEE HER. omg i am so excited. I can't wait. it is like the one thing getting me through my day. I love her and can't wait to see her again!

#4 my to-do list is not shrinking, I've decided if i post it here maybe more of it will get done so -

THE PRE-OP TO-DO LIST
  • grocery shopping for like 2 weeks
  • make food and freeze it so i don't have to cook
  • find a chair for the shower (anyone??)
  • get glitter toes (tomorrow. SwingKid's sister. :o) I'm thinking purple....)
  • books (also tomorrow. :o) )
  • movies (tomorrow and every time i need a new one SwingKid is in charge of my entertainment...I'm not sure he completely realizes this yet.)
  • get gas for the car
  • clean room
  • clean lv room
  • get a blessing (thursday)
  • pick up crutches from friend (also thursday)
  • go to gold's gym and freeze my account 
  • go talk to the trainer to set up rehab
i'm sure there's more to that list...sigh. my life is going to change a lot on Friday and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle all the change....Also, am I forgetting anything? After being sick this weekend and not being able to get anything done, I'm worried I'm forgetting something. I know there's at least 2 of you (Marisa? Erin?) that read this and have done this before...sigh. I'm trying to just breathe and be okay with everything...

2 comments:

Marisa VanSkiver said...

You're gonna want something to cover your stitches so you can shower. I went for awkward stances and plastic wrap . . . lol. But frankly, it'll be sponge bathing for the first week-ish, until you're allowed to take the wrap and gauze off. You'll want soup and sprite, because the anesthesia and pain medicine might make you nauseated (ask my friend Shauna, I was throwing up for two days, but I don't take to Percocet). Make sure you have a ride to/from the hospital, and someone that's willing to wait around and help you out the first day. Again, it's different for everyone. I know someone who had ACL arthroscopy and was back on her feet the next day. But she's crazy . . . lol. Cash for pizza is also a good idea. :) You'll be fine!

erin said...

I echo the sponge bath...you'll just have to get used to it for a week or so. And yes, have some food on hand that you like to eat when you aren't feeling well. The second time I had surgery I had a a medicine that was supposed to help with nausea but it made it even worse. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor what you're feeling. He can switch to a different medication (there are about 40 kinds for one type, I swear.) And echo everything else she said too. :)

The biggest thing for me was that I had to learn how to be more humble and ask for help. You CANNOT function on your own for the first few weeks. You really do need people to help you. And it's hard to do that when you're naturally used to being independent.