Tuesday, January 13, 2009


Let us all take a quick moment before I tell this story and really mourn the loss of Bob the Fish.

Okay, now that that's over. Let me tell you the story of how Bob the Fish died.

I realized the night before I left to go to Virginia that I had made no arrangements for my little pet fish.  So as SwingKid and I said good night that night, I asked him if he would take care of my little fish while I was gone. I mean, it isn't hard or anything. Just change the water every 5 days or so and feed it a little bit of food a couple of times a day and he'll be happy as a clam.

Well....the Monday before I came home SwingKid and I were talking on the phone and he told me that he thought Bob wasn't doing so hot. He said he looked very pale and seemed sort of miserable. We discussed killing it, but neither of us had the guts to just flush it down the toilet or anything like that. SwingKid mentioned he would try to put it by more sunlight to see if that would help him. (I was doubtful of that, my apartment gets likes NO sunlight in the kitchen where Bob the Fish would reside, and he'd been just fine for months.)

Fast forward two days. New Year's Eve. SwingKid picks me up from the airport and we go to the awesome mocktail party at his place. As everyone is cleaning up said mocktail party (i was sleeping on the couch. ;) ) I hear SwingKid open the back door and then gasp. As he comes back from the very cold outdoors, he's holding the fish bowl of Bob the Fish. The entire thing is one solid block of ice and at the very bottom of the bowl is a frozen Bob. :o( See, SwingKid put Bob the Fish outside to get some sunlight, but forgot about him. oops. So, Bob the Fish froze.

In an effort to see if Bob the Fish was not really dead, we left him to defrost slowly on the stove all night and in the morning we checked him out. Hoping for something akin to the Mammoth, we took a look at the fish. He was definitely still dead. Poor Bob the Fish.  

And that, my friends, is how Bob the Fish died. I'm not that sad about to be honest. He was getting really sick (I had noticed the paleness before I left) and really, I hadn't been caring for him that well. I'm sort of, kind of glad to not have to worry about it. AND I didn't have to flush him down the toilet. ;)


Kristina P. said...

I've killed a fish or two in my day, as well.

Chillygator said...

No way. I laughed so hard it hurt. Poor fish!

They also don't like sugary cereal, those picky fish.

Wiwi Kalawi said...

Wait wait wait...your fish was frozen alive? Wow. That's far more wild than anything I expected!

Coach Mike said...

GASP! ... then ... ROFL!!

I have nothing else to say.

Love ya!