Sunday, December 30, 2007

What I learned at church today

So being the 5th Sunday, Priesthood and Relief Society were combined and we were taught by our bishop. Now, I'm still at home, so this was no Singles Ward 5th Sunday chastity, dating, or marriage talk. It was quite refreshing, if I do say so myself. Instead, we talked about resolutions, and how if you take the word apart it looks like this: re - solution, so it's where we already know the solution but decide to resolve it. It was interesting.

So that led us into discussing the life of Peter the disciple of Christ and how we are like Peter. My favorite part was where we discussed Christ's commandment to Peter to

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs." (John 21:15)

We broke this down and talked about 3 different parts, "lovest thou me", "more than these" and "feed my lambs (and repeated 2x as sheep)". Under "lovest thou me" we discussed how this represents Christ and how we can show him we love Him. Then we talked about how we can "feed my lambs/sheep," and the many different areas that that commandment covers. We also discussed that to feed all of his other sheep, we must first feed ourselves, because we mustn’t forget that we are part of His great fold. In conjunction with that we discussed the "more than these" and what parts of life deters us from feeding the lambs of God. There were so many things on this list that it felt somewhat overwhelming that I need to overcome all of those things in order to feed the sheep. However, it all tied into Sunday School where we discussed the latter chapters of Revelation and discussed that this gospel is one of optimism, and the plan was created with the purpose of every single one of us returning to live in the presence of Heavenly Father.

So this year, I am not going to make a list of the hundreds things that I have solutions to; instead, I am going to focus on being a disciple of Christ and following the commandment to "feed my sheep." Knowing full well that this saying includes me, because I am a member of the fold, I know that by feeding myself it will become easier to feed others who need the nourishment that comes from the gospel. That is my one goal for this year, and I hope that one year from now, I can look back and say that I have done my very best and be happy with myself.

0 comments: